NSX 6.3.3 Controller Deployment Status "Deploying" for long time and fails (root password expired issue)
NSX controllers’ deployment is failing on NSX 6.3.3 version. The controller shows “Deploying” status for around 30-45 mins and later failed/VM is deleted although your entire NSX configuration looks good. During the deployment state, the controller VM is deployed and powered on. But, it is not assigned with IP Address which is specified in the IP Pool.
It looks like that “root password expired” issue with NSX controller VM. The NSX Controller is built-on Photon OS and root password age is set 90 days. This may be cause for the controller machine unable to assign the IP Address during its customization stage.
1. After the controller VM is deployed and powered on, connect the VM and Launch web console.
2. Enter the username as “root” and password “vmware”
3. Enter the new password and note down. (must be 8 chrs and one upper, lower and special chr)
4. Type the following command:
5. Press “I” to insert text in the vi
6. Type "Address=
" eg: Address=192.168.1.10/24
7. Type "Gateway=
" eg: 255.255.255.0
8. Press ESC key
9. Then, press :wq to save the file
10. Then type “reboot” command for rebooting the controller VM and wait for few minutes. Then you can see the IP address is assigned to the Controller VM.
11. You can see the logs /var/log/. I found password expired error on firstboot log file.
12. When I ran the “chage –l root” command in the console, found that “root” password is set to expire in 90 days. This may be issue that causing the controller VM is not assigned with IP Address.
13. Wait for few minutes (approx. 5 mins) and try to login back to the controller VM thru web console by using “root” account. If the VM is not allowing you to login, means that Controller VM is joined to the controller-cluster and root account is disabled.
14. SSH to the controllers VM and enter “admin” as user name and password that you mentioned during the time of deployment.
15. Then type “show controller-cluster status”, you can see the VM is joined to the cluster.
16. Repeat the same steps for other Controllers VMs.
17. After all 3 controllers deployed and verify the node status and no error reported anywhere.